On 9 December 2016 the Minister for Small Business called for Pre-Budget Submissions from individuals, businesses and community groups on their views regarding priorities for the 2017-18 Budget. For further information, please see the press release by the Minister for Small Business on 9 December 2016. Submissions closed on 17 February 2017. 237 submissions were received by the Treasury in response to this consultation.
The AACB’s five budget priorities
1. Invest in a national convention bid fund of up to $10 million per year to increase Australia's competitiveness in bringing conventions and exhibitions of national significance to our cities.
2. Grant access to the fee-free online Electronic Travel Authority visa scheme for attendees of major business events. Estimated foregone revenue of $10 million per year.
3. Fund a dedicated $10 million business events marketing campaign to change perceptions of Australia as a knowledge economy.
4. Allocate $4 million of Australian aid per year for travel bursary to bring academics, scientists and business leaders from the Indo-Pacific to international conventions held in Australia.
5. Restore the rules around the Export Market Development Grants to allow approved bodies to receive full funding for international marketing.
AACB MEDIA STATEMENTS